Forums » Mature Discussions & Debates

Racial discrimination in the Fandom?

• 109 posts
    July 24, 2011 3:29 AM PDT

Racism is a growing issue in a lot of our societies, but also in the fandom? Have you ever exprienced racial discrimiation amongs furries? I know I haven't :3 

• 2 posts
    July 25, 2011 12:42 PM PDT

Nope, not that I know of.

The closest to "Racism" i've ever seen/heard, is other [local] SE Michigan furs joking about/to  our "token" black guy(s).

But, being Hispanic/Eastern European/"Ethnic Looking", They might not say actual racist things around me.

(IMHO (and experience), furries are more inclined to be anti-religious, than racist.)

• 5 posts
    December 19, 2011 5:45 PM PST
    ive heard racist remarks to foxxes about them being sluts but thats about it
  • December 22, 2011 10:57 AM PST
    Happily, I've never seen any racial discrimination. It's a point of pride to me as a fur (and otherkin) to know I'm part of a group that doesn't judge it's members like that. Since I feel strongly about that, if I saw it happen I would set that fur straight about what the community is all about. We should all be one big furry family, not divided by race, species, or level of involvement in the fandom.
    • 5 posts
    December 22, 2011 7:07 PM PST
    What about the steam furs? there abuncha trolling douchebags :U
  • February 8, 2012 1:21 AM PST
    I think the big issue here is the mass diversity of the number of races you have in the furry community. Sure you have your big choices like wolves and foxes, but with the sheer number of other possible races, its almost impossible to single out one particular furry race for any partiular personallity type. especially when you consider that even if you could, most people probably picked that fur for that reason anyway because of the gerneral connotation assosciated with that animal, race on the other hand, being a noncontrolable factor and having so few general categories to choose from, really sets itself up for the natural human instinct to blame a particular group of people for your own faults, which in escence is the birth of racism, sitne it is chiely rooted in the history of one particular race to another.
  • March 8, 2012 7:48 AM PST
    Just on the topic: (an opinion only on genetics/ possibly environment) the genetic selection process of ' kin selection' cause a species or group with in that species to act in a way that contribute favourably to the successful reproduction of their kin-this behaviour can extend beyond immediate kin and its association spread to entire race of familiarity and thus is the birth of racism.. --This is only one aspect of the issue and by no means a definite or root cause.
    • 10 posts
    March 14, 2012 9:12 PM PDT
    Racism has existed since humans of different colors found eachother. It's always been there, and always will be. Whether or not there's a majority or minority of such discrimination, well that's up to the eyes of the beholder.
  • April 26, 2012 9:21 AM PDT
    I think if everyone just stops talking about it altogether and parents teach their children that we are all human, racism will finally die out.
  • April 27, 2012 7:14 PM PDT
    I think Martin luther king got it right with his dream. he hoped that one day people would be judged by the content of their character, not by the color of the skin. and also to the fox's being sluts post I've kinda been of the opinion that felines have that slot covered... BUT I am open to have someone prove me wrong and wont judge until I know each kitteh individually. I'll just be kinda wary until then u.u sorry bad experience
    • 1 posts
    July 14, 2012 9:37 AM PDT

Obsidian Fur said:
    and also to the fox's being sluts post I've kinda been of the opinion that felines have that slot covered... BUT I am open to have someone prove me wrong and wont judge until I know each kitteh individually. I'll just be kinda wary until then u.u sorry bad experience.

*Blushes raising my hand as a gesture he fits the description* Heh I'm one of them felines, but as for the limits of being, not everyone in a description fits a reputation that one stereotypes. It's like saying a person can friend everyone. So theres no perfect being nor does everyone like one thing. It's human. So why discriminate something that not everyone relates to in behavior/looks/etc? I believe that our mortality is proof enough that it's impossible to profile someone as a group.

This post was edited by Uzer Nolaski at July 14, 2012 9:38 AM PDT
  • July 14, 2012 11:39 AM PDT
    Well said indeed uzer
  • July 16, 2012 2:28 PM PDT
    I have not, but it does exist to some extent in every community, whether it be obvious or not. The closest I've encountered are the usual jokes, but nothing direct or aimed at anyone.
  • Mac
    • 6 posts
    August 19, 2012 1:48 PM PDT
    I for one agree with Acreo Crimsonstar, The more this topic is cussed and discussed the more credence it gains. It would be to everyone's benefit to treat this subject like a bad taboo. In due time it would die of natural causes!
  • August 21, 2012 8:38 PM PDT
    ^ like
    • 22 posts
    October 24, 2012 4:24 PM PDT
    Well, perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't see furry as a race. It's a species, yes, just like you have foxes, wolves, dragons, etc... But it's not like in the human realm where humans are the species -- and we are sub-categorizing them based on color of their skin.

In other words, b/c not all furries belong to the same species, it'd be exceedingly hard to be "racist" towards another furry -- since that'd often be an entirely different species.
    • 17 posts
    November 5, 2012 4:17 PM PST
    @Tali, perhaps "species-ist" is occurring. I think every species has members more interested in trying to build themselves up by insulting others, than in bettering everyfur. It's lazy to just say "all foxes are sluts [tods too?!]" or "all bunnies are ..." [fill in trait speaker insults].
    • 22 posts
    November 5, 2012 11:13 PM PST
    I presumed that's what was meant by racist but to err on the side of caution i made my previous comment
    • 815 posts
    November 6, 2012 7:03 PM PST
    People can't Deny you the rights you have any more than you can make them like your race. There will always be people who don't like certain races, Nobody can all like the same thing. If someone says something about another race ignore them don't give the dignity of knowing you are paying attention to them. Best just let them use their time as they see fit.
    • 6915 posts
    November 18, 2012 7:57 AM PST
    sadley racism is every where nekos make fun of reptiles as well as other mammals there are verbal fights between furs and scales as to how many k9s and felines are too many and how they are too mainstream discrimination against sergals and other aliens reports of too many dragons, the list goes on there are even insults as to nekos not even being furs just "wannabes" and might i add there are bitter disputes between types of nagas (humanoids and anthros)
    • 815 posts
    November 18, 2012 11:33 AM PST
    the best way for people to get on with their happy lives is to stop caring who has what in this world and only worry about your own needs. Sure when someone actually infinges your rights you have reason to complain. However someone expressing their opinion about a race or sex while it might not be very respectable it is NOT infringing your rights.
  • November 17, 2014 9:25 AM PST

I have expierenced some racism i was banned from couple of furry sites because i chose to be a neko.

• November 17, 2014 11:30 AM PST

I've had in issue today because i chose an archosaur rather than a mammal :(

• 17 posts
    November 17, 2014 2:31 PM PST

I've heard the 'slut' slur with bunnies. Furhaps we could paraprase Matahma Gandhi and say a slur for a slur makes everyfur blind to each others' rights. LEO Owens has a point; some folks are too sensitive. But I think opinions need basis in fact. I think African-Americans have different cultural roots than Europeans. That doesn't make one better or worse than another.

I've never read slurs against nekos, or kitsune for that matter, but then I don't understand why any gaijin would care about Japanese culture over any other cat-like folklore. I don't think folks have to adhere blindly to species stereotypes.

I do wanna bring up the discussion about what mix of animal and human traits a fursona shows. Maybe neko should lick their paws occasionally?

And uh Remleiz, I dunno if some take the FUR Nation too far. Furhaps it should be Anthro Nation instead. Is archosaur a large group, such as any 'ancient lizard'? By the way, let's find some 'featheries' to get their views.

• November 18, 2014 12:12 AM PST

Well Archosaurs include birds, dinosaurs and crocodillians so i'd say it's a fairly large group yeah