Hey everyone :] I'm an artist going to school at UCSC and right now I am in a studio called "Picturing Identity." For my current project, I am supposed to make a work of art that investigates a specific group of people and I've chosen Furries:]
If you wouldn't mind helping me out by answering some questions, It'd be greatly appreciated.
*****PLEASE KNOW THAT YOU CAN CHOOSE TO NOT ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU MIGHT NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH*****
Thank you :]
1. What is your name? What is your age? Where are you from? What is your fursona? What aspects of your identity would you relate to being a Furry, specifically that animal?
2. Do you feel that you take on a separate identity as a Furry, or is it simply an extension of your everyday identity?
3. Who are you outside of being a Furry? (ie job, lifestyle, family...)
4. How do you feel about how the public sees you? How do you feel when in public as a Furry? What experiences have you had with the public? (stories?)
5. How much of your time is devoted to this other identity? (ie time spent costume-making, conventions, forums, etc)
6. Are you a part of a larger community? Do you feel like this is a united community? Are there subgroups that the public may not see? Do the same prejudices and stereotypes that exist in the larger public community (ie race, gender) affect the community you identify with?
7. What are your opinions and feelings about the connotations associated with the word “Furry”? Do you feel they are positive, negative, or both, and how does this influence your identity with this community? If you are confronted with these stereotypes in everyday life, how do you deal with them?
8. How do friends and family feel about this identity? Do they know or is this an aspect of your lifestyle that is private? Do both sides of your identity converge at any point, or are they separate? (ie friends, hobbies)????